Monday, September 14, 2015

Decals man, decals...

I managed to get this first squad of five marines finished this weekend. Well, pretty much finished. The last step that I always forget about when it comes to painting space marines is the decals (not to mention static grass and painting the base rim too).
 

I know a lot of people don't like using decals because they think it's like putting a bumper sticker on a Lamborghini but decals are a total time and sanity saver to me.
However, I did paint on the tactical markings because painting an arrow is easy but I will use decals for that moving forward. Painting five arrows isn't so bad but painting 82? Not so much.


Applying decals can be a real time saver and give your army a more uniform look. Freehanding squad markings is great but there will be some inconsistencies. Even so, decals do take some time to apply. I like to start with a coat of ard coat and then once it's dry I am ready to apply the decal. Once the decal is set where I would like it to be I dab it with a tissue and then add a drop or two of the decal setting solution. This stuff works wonders. I usually wait for it to do it's magic over night but softening up the decal and getting rid of wrinkles. If there are still wrinkles when you wake up the next morning then hit it again with the setting solution and you should be good in a few hours.
After the decals wrinkles have been chemically ironed out I then add another coat of ard coat followed by the Lahmian Medium to get rid of the shine.

Hopefully the decal setting solution does it's work tonight and tomorrow I can completely finish up these models and get started on my next batch of marines. I already have them scrubbed and they just need to dry out and get some parts glued back on here and there. After they get based and primed they will be ready for the painting table.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment